Seven Strategies for Second Year Soybeans
Thinking about planting soybeans 2 years in a row? According to AgWeb and University of Wisconsin Extension researchers, this is not a recommended practice. However, if farmers choose this route, here are 7 tips they should adopt:
- Switch up your varieties and choose strong disease resistance traits to match already known problems in your field
- Test for soybean cyst nematode (SCN) and choose SCN-resistant varieties – SCN thrives in multi-year soybean rotations
- Scout fields earlier and more intensely to stay ahead of disease problems
- Lower seeding rates in fields where white mold has been a problem
- Maximize the fungicide rates of your seed treatments
- Use a pre-emergence herbicide, and multiple modes of action
- Sample soil, and replace potassium if needed
Sign up for the Know More, Grow More Digest to receive twice-monthly agronomic e-mail updates pertinent to your area.
Syngenta hereby disclaims liability for third party websites.
All photos are the property of Syngenta or are used with permission.