Prepare Now for 2023 Corn Weed Management
Weeds growing in a corn field.
Now that harvest has wrapped up, it’s a great time to think ahead and prepare for 2023. With challenges like herbicide resistance, input inflation and unpredictable weather becoming increasingly common, it’s essential to continually evaluate your current level of weed control and areas for improvement so you can maximize future yield potential.
Here are tips to keep in mind as you start making your plans:
- First and foremost, clean out all your equipment after harvest, and clean it well. Weed seeds are extremely hardy and can easily sit on/in stored equipment and reenter the weed seed bank when they become dislodged later on.
- Take note of which fields struggled with weed pressures the most this season, and make sure to identify what specific weeds were problematic.
- Plan to pay extra attention to these areas and weeds next year.
- Review your 2022 weed management program and identify areas that need improvement. Maybe you need more overall control, longer residual, improved crop safety or a little more of each.
- While some growers cut back on herbicide applications this season due to high input costs, these fields were often more susceptible to weed pressures. Remember: saving money up front doesn’t always have the same long-term financial benefit as spending a little more to do the job well.
- Finally, consider what weeds were most problematic in 2022 and make sure your next corn herbicide program has active ingredients that are effective on them.
Once you have a clear view into this year’s challenges, consider taking a different approach in 2023. Don’t be afraid to try something new next season, and consider bringing in trusted partners like your local retailer or Syngenta representative to think through a plan.
For maximum weed control and yield potential in corn, we recommend Acuron® herbicide. Acuron contains 4 active ingredients and 3 effective sites of action, including the unique active ingredient bicyclopyrone, which enables more consistent weed control across soil types and geographies. Acuron also offers longest-lasting residual and proven crop safety.
Better weed control, longest-lasting residual and proven crop safety have many benefits, but what’s most important is that they mean higher yield and revenue potential for you. When applied preemergence and at a full label rate, Acuron outyielded competitors by 5-15 bushels per acre in replicated Syngenta and university trials.*
Want to see what those extra bushels could mean for your revenue potential in 2023? Try our online calculator and find out.
Sign up for the Know More, Grow More Digest to receive twice-monthly agronomic email updates pertinent to your area.
*Acuron yield advantage range based on 2016 Syngenta and university replicated trials comparing Acuron to Corvus®, Resicore®, SureStart® II and Verdict® herbicides applied preemergence and at full labeled rates.
All photos are either the property of Syngenta or are used with permission.
Syngenta hereby disclaims any liability for third party websites referenced herein.