Consider These 3 Questions When Choosing Your Corn Herbicides
Corn emerges in a clean, weed-free row.
With so many corn herbicides available today, it can be hard to choose which one is right for your field. But fret not, we have 3 tips to help you make that selection. It starts with reframing your thinking: Quality corn herbicides are an investment in your farm – not an expense. Like any financial investment, it’s important to conduct a thorough evaluation of your options and how they align with your goals before making a decision.
Viewing your corn herbicide decision as an investment compared to an expense helps prioritize the herbicide selections that will work for you based on:
- The spectrum of weeds that they’re working to control.
- The length of the residual applications.
- The flexibility of the product.
- The potential return on investment (ROI).
Consider the answers to these 3 questions when choosing your herbicide:
- Does the herbicide program make financial sense?
- What will it cost vs. what is the potential ROI?
- Will the program be efficient?
- Will it effectively manage the key problem weeds in your field without the need for expensive rescue applications?
- Are the herbicide brands proven and reputable?
- Will the products work like they are supposed to, and will you have the manufacturer’s support if they don’t?
Dr. Charlie Cahoon, extension weed specialist at NC State University, says saving $10/A on bargain weed control isn’t worth the additional $20/A in resprays and clean-up efforts it could cost for the next few years. He grew up on a farm and understands margins are tight, but one thing to remember about weeds is if they go to seed this year, you will have to contend with them in the future. Keep in mind the old saying, “1 year to seed, 7 years to weed.”
When considering your corn herbicide options, Acuron® corn herbicide can check all the boxes. When you apply the 3-question model above to Acuron, here’s the potential:
- Does the herbicide program make financial sense? When applied preemergence and at the full labeled rate, replicated Syngenta and university trials show Acuron outyields competitors by 5 to 15 bushels an acre.*
- Will the program be efficient? Acuron delivers unmatched burndown and residual control of more than 70 tough grass and broadleaf weeds until crop canopy and beyond. This season-long weed management helps fully protect yield potential and minimize the weed seed bank for next year’s crop.
- Is Acuron a proven and reputable brand? Acuron has been proven to provide excellent preemergence and post-emergence performance across a wide range of soil types, weather conditions and plant genetics. We stand behind our products and have multiple resources – including local sales reps and agronomists, customer support, and more – available to help answer any questions or concerns.
The last couple of years have seen extreme weather events, which makes finding the right herbicide critical for you this season. The components of Acuron are specifically researched and formulated to provide the longest-lasting residual product that works across the full spectrum of environmental conditions, which is an important consideration when you think about the diversity of acres across the US – or even just across your farm.
Calculate the extra revenue potential you could find next season with Acuron.
Sign up for the Know More, Grow More Digest to receive twice-monthly agronomic e-mail updates pertinent to your area.
All photos and videos are either the property of Syngenta or are used with permission.
The trademarks or service marks displayed or otherwise used herein are the property of a Syngenta Group Company. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.